Myanmar’s ruling military has declared a temporary ceasefire in the country’s civil war to facilitate relief efforts after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake, which has killed over 3,000 people.
The military government suggested the numbers could still rise, saying “detailed figures are still being collected.”
Asean countries, especially Malaysia, hope that the military ruling Myanmar will extend the ceasefire beyond the previously announced period so that relief and recovery efforts can continue after the earthquake.
The death toll from a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Myanmar jumped to more than 1,000 on Saturday as more bodies were pulled from the rubble of the scores of buildings that collapsed.
As the junta leader shook hands in Bangkok, the UN said it had received 14 reports of attacks – including from aircraft, drones and artillery – despite a promised halt to the bombing after the earthquake.
The death toll from Myanmar's devastating earthquake climbed to 3,354, with 4,850 injured and 220 missing, state media said on Saturday, as the visiting U.N. aid chief praised humanitarian and community groups for leading the aid response.
Explore more
The United Nations called for the world to rally behind quake-hit Myanmar on Saturday as the death toll rose to 3,354, while a former USAID official said a US aid team had received notice they were losing their jobs after arriving in the disaster zone.
Myanmar's ostracised junta chief met the leaders of India and Thailand during a regional summit in Bangkok on Friday, and the U.N. said his military was limiting humanitarian aid following the earthquake that killed over 3,